This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: MIPS assembly error
- From: Jeff Baker <jbaker at qnx dot com>
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at wasabisystems dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:00:00 -0400
- Subject: Re: MIPS assembly error
- Organization: QNX Software Systems Ltd.
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: jbaker at qnx dot com
Your first example used .word. The MIPS assembler automatically
aligns .word values to the natural alignment. That introduces an
implicit alignment directive, and in the first pass gas is not
immediately sure how much space that will take up.
Could this be handled in a subsequent pass? i.e. After gas knows how
much space this will take up could it come back and try to simplify
anything that initally spanned multiple frags?