Re: ld -r frustration

On Jul 27, 2004, at 8:11 AM, Alan Modra wrote:

That's not the ideal solution, especially considering that tools
like libtool use "ld -r" to work around command line limits when
linking huge numbers of object files.  What we really need is a
"ld -r" that doesn't do any merging of sections, or a final link
stage that can undo the effects of "ld -r".  The latter would need
quite a bit of work, and probably not be very robust.  I'm leaning
towards the idea of making "ld -r" behave like "ar cr" on PowerPC64.

I'd be really bummed out by this. I have an application where I specifically use ld -r to merge sections from multiple .o files into a single .o file in order to form a table in a .a library.

This application does not currently run on PowerPC64, but there are plans to make it so do.