About ld scirpts and genscripts.sh

Hello.
I would like to build a cross development toolchain. I have an 'emulparams', an 'emultempl' and a 'scripttempl' file.
I would like to know the diference between :
- Insert them in the source tree of ld before compiling binutils (so it compile ld with the .c generated file).
- Simply use my ld script with the option -T of ld.

Or in other words, what does the *.c generated file do ?

A last question :
If i specify a emulation with no 'emultempl' script, is there any sense ? Do i need to modify the source tree of ld or can i simply use my ld script with the option -T of ld ?

Thanks a lot.

Cordialement.
Paul.