Re: PATCH: Test the just built windres/dlltool only

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:44:43PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi H. J.

> >>If they are on your $PATH, why aren't we building them?  This patch
>
> >It is configured for a different target.
>
> >>will disable the tests when testing an installed binutils, I think.
>
> >How do you test the installed binutils with the binutils build tree?
> >I thought you should set them in environment if you wanted to test the
> >installed ones.
>
> I think that the point is that you should set the PATH in your
> environment to only include the built tools for your current target, not
> for other targets.  Otherwise you could end up testing the entirely
> wrong set of tools.

My PATH has binaries for my host machine, which are irrelevant to the
target for my binutils built tree. I don't think

# configure
# make
# make check

should test any of my install binaries. "make check" should assume
my installed binaries are OK. I still haven't seen a reasonable reason
for "make check" to test the installed binaries.

H.J.