Re: [Patch] was: MIPS assembler no longer "combines symbols in differentsegments"...

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

 I agree with this:  it's an ABI-breaking change to suddenly remove support
for a reloc type.  It may be desirable for more modern versions of the

 It's not a breaking change -- the relocation has never been a part of the
Linux ABI.  It has simply been abused.  If you use an undocumented
feature, you shouldn't be surprised if that feature disappears one day,
sorry.

What do you consider a "breaking change"? I don't care if it is part of some official ABI document. It is part of a de facto ABI that is used by GCC-3.3.x

By removing this relocation, you cannot use binutils 2.16 with GCC-3.3.x. In a perfect world, Binutils 2.15 would have had a non-broken linker and we would keep using it. But we don't live in a perfect world.

I don't see what is gained in making binutils 2.16 unsuable with GCC-3.3.x.

David Daney.