Re: Unsupported targets slated for removal

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:10:16 +1030
>    From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>
>
> Hi Alan,
>
>    I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
>    binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
>
> What do you mean with "removed from mainline" here?  These targets

I want to kill all non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, to reduce the
maintenance burden, and allow BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets to be cleaned up
without worrying about breaking the old code.  That will mean the
generic support code in gas for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER will disappear from
mainline.  Whether the corresponding tc-* files disappear or not doesn't
matter so much, but I favour complete removal.  You won't be able to
build these gas targets until they are converted over to use BFD.

More generally, I think we should remove targets that don't have active
maintainers listed in binutils/MAINTAINERS.  Again, this is simply to
reduce the maintenance burden.  Occasionally when making a global
change, I'd like to be able to email someone and say "xyz has changed,
please fix it for your target", rather than having to dig through some
crufty backend code myself.

> from your list:
>
>        m88k-*-*
>
>        vax-*-netbsd*
>        vax-*-bsd*
>        vax-*-ultrix*
>
> are still fully supported by me in GDB, and support for them shouldn't
> be removed from bdf/ and opcodes/.

OK, I guess that's reasonable.  Please list yourself as a maintainer
in binutils/MAINTAINERS!

> Also putting my OpenBSD hat on, vax-*-elf is somewhat important to us,
> but from your reaction to Matt Thomass's mail you don't intend to
> whack that.

No.

--
Alan Modra