Re: PATCH for Re: binutils 2.15 / gcc-3.3.5 (3.4.3) produce textrelocations on arm

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 22:07, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > on another note:
> > MAXPAGESIZE=0x8000 (as of bfd/elf.c) for arm, please change that in
> > ld/emulparams/armelf.sh.
>
> Nathan noticed the odd MAXPAGESIZE setting in arm-elf today also.  I
> don't know the history.

It probably dates back to the days of the ARM2 and ARM3.  The memory
management chip in those days was a device called MEMC which wasn't
integrated into the CPU.  MEMC had some odd quirks and one of them was
that the page size was variable depending on the amount of memory that
had to be managed.  By using 32K pages you could manage up to 4Mb of RAM
(I think 32K was the largest supported size - above that you had to add
a second MEMC chip to the machine).

For most people this is somewhat academic now, but there are a few
people out there that use ELF on the old chips.

R.