Re: PATCH: objcopy.c: redefine-sym-specific for archive files

Hi Daniel,

Why add a new switch ? Why not simply extend the syntax accepted by the --redefine-sym switch so that if a colon is present it behaves as per your new switch ?

I wasn't sure if the colon could be a valid character in a symbol somewhere, if it isn't then it probably makes more sense to do like you said and just have one flag.

I wondered that as well. I think that in the interested of simplicity though it would be better to reuse an existing switch if possible. You could make the code quite intelligent - if multiple colons are detected in the switch's argument then it could all possible permutations of colon-as-file-name-separator and colon-as-symbol-character and only report an error if there is more than one valid solution.

Of course colons can be valid parts of file names as well. For example how should the code cope with this:

--redefine-sym-specific c:\program files\a.o:foo=bar

Also - with a patch like this that adds a new feature, we really need an FSF copyright assignment in place before we can accept the patch. Would you be interested in completing such an assignment ?

Sure. Send me the details.

I have attached a form. Please fill it in and email it off to the FSF at the address given.

Cheers
  Nick

request-assign.future:

Please email the following information to fsf-records@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
Please use your full name as the subject line of the message.

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your snail address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]