Re: Allow linker script on executable and hidden symbol

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 12:20, H. J. Lu wrote:
> Here is the updated patch.

The executable/version script part of this looks much better to me now.
You have docs, and a linker consistency check.

However, this patch still includes the stuff for forcibly exporting
hidden variables.  Alan Modra objected to that, and pointed out that we
can get incorrect code in this case.  I've never used hidden variables,
and know little about how they work, but I do know that I should not be
overruling Alan when it comes to binutils decisions like this.  Maybe
you need to discuss this with him a bit more.

I think I see the point of the change.  -Bsymbolic affects all
variables, and you want a way to change the binding of individual
variables.  So effectively this is the same problem as the other part of
the patch.  Applying a linker script to an executable allows you to
changing binding of individual variables, whereas --export-dynamic
affects all of them.

However, that still leaves the question of whether we can get incorrect
code, which doesn't seem to have been resolved.