Re: Understanding libbfd

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:38:57PM -0500, Kristi Morton wrote:
>   I've been doing some experiments with the libbfd internals in
> binutils 2.15 and am having a hard time figuring out how a BFD structure
> translates into an elf binary.    I've tracked down the libbfd doc from
> the '90s,  and haven't found what I needed.  I have also been working
> through the code and am still perplexed.

If it's any consolation, this isn't unusual.  bfd isn't easy to
understand, and its macros and (lack of) naming conventions make it
difficult to follow.  You certainly wouldn't want to look at bfd without
having a good understanding of how an ELF binary is constructed.  Start
by reading the ELF spec, which you can find listed on
http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html, a good source of lots of info.

>    Are there some more up to date descriptions you can point me to that
> will help me understand this translation?

Not apart from what is in bfd/doc/

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre