Re: hppa build broken

> Does this help with performance on your workstation?  I've checked
> that it does the right thing but it it doesn't seem to help with
> performance on my A550.  I'm updating the installed SCSI patches
> but I'm not too hopeful that it will help.  I tried two different
> drives using different controllers.

Hm, I am surprised you are not seeing a performance improvement.
I have been testing with the test case:

        .data
bar:
        .block 0x3fffffff

On a 9000/785 workstation running 11.00.  I see a large improvement in
the time the assembler takes to run (2 to 3 minutes with my patch).

I no longer think my patch is the way to fix this though, I think Alan's
change is the right thing to do in pa_block() and that this problem
should be fixed in gas/write.c.  In write_contents(), there is code that
uses a buffer (char buf[256]) to write out data.  This means that our
zeros are being written out 256 bytes at a time.  I increased 256 to 1M
(1048576) and got the same performance improvement that I had with my
earlier patch.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com