Re: cvs issues with .info files...

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 02:27:16PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz dixit:
> >More specifically, it is an automake limitation and I have not gotten
> >sufficiently frustrated to fix it.
>
> I was.
>
> Sample for as:

> -$(srcdir)/as.info: $(srcdir)/as.texinfo asconfig.texi gasver.texi $(CPU_DOCS)
> -as.dvi: $(srcdir)/as.texinfo asconfig.texi gasver.texi $(CPU_DOCS)
> -

> +DISTCLEANFILES = asconfig.texi as.info as.info-*
> +

> And regenerate with automake 1.9. I don't know if that would work
> on the "pristine" GNU tools (we BSD people have our patched tools)
> but I think so. This is an excerpt from a larger diff, that's why
> the line numbers don't seem to fit.
>
> If you desire, I can try to dig them all out; I don't have a box
> running a GNU OS to test, though.

You just broke snapshots and release tarballs - they'll no longer have
info files in them, since they get prepared with distclean.  The things
that need to work are:

 - Ship tarballs with info files.
 - Be able to run "make" without modifying the source directory, which
   might be readonly.
 - Don't fall over if the tools to generate info files are missing.

I suppose we could do this and then preserve the info files explicitly
in src-release.  But have you read the comments in automake describing
the problems with building info files in the build directory?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC