Re: vmlinux parse error 2.6.12.5

>   How long _has_ the ASSERT been present?  It wasn't in 2.6.7.  As far as I
> can see (assuming the file dates at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ are actually correct and
> more-or-less when the versions were released), that implies that it cannot
> have been there any earlier than june last year.  It may have only been
> present for a few versions and then be working again in 2.6.13.x

It is in 2.6.12 but not 2.6.11.12 the file to look at is
arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S

> > it certainly must have worked fine for most
> > people (and for those who had the problem then moving to binutils >=
> > 2.15 seemed to have done some good too).
>
>   Hmm, still hasn't helped me any.  Very strange.

Warning!  Possibly really dumb statements and questions follow.
Proceed with caution:

I don't understand this.  The ld script starts as a .S file which is
run through gcc to preprocess it into vmlinux.lds.  Shouldn't the
ASSERT's be triggered there and not when ld goes to work with the
.lds?  Is it possible this a gcc version problem rather than a bintool
problem?