Re: [amodra@sourceware.org: src/gas/testsuite ChangeLog gas/i386/divide.d ...]

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:55:51AM -0500, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:10:35AM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> > On i586-pc-gnu, '/' anywhere on the line starts a comment.  This is
> > because the original x86 sysv assembler used '/' to start comments.
> > In mid 1998, I changed this for the linux version of x86 gas, so that
> > '/' could be used in expressions as a divide operator.  Other flavours
> > of x86 gas have followed suit since then.
>
> Could you please bring that in sync for us as well?

I can if you are sure you want it.  It will of course break any assembly
source you have that happens to use / to start comments anywhere except
the first column.

> Do you know of other issues (in the whole binutils package) where the GNU
> system differs from the GNU/Linux system?

You can find differences by comparing entries in the various configure
files, particularly gas/configure.tgt and ld/configure.tgt.  The most
obvious difference is that more linux targets are supported, and linux
targets often enable support for related targets like the older AOUT
linux target.

> Having a look at the source code I found [gas]/config/te-linux.h, but no
> [gas]/config/te-gnu.h or similar.
> E.g. in the Linux file, `LOCAL_LABELS_FB' is defined to `1'.  Do we also
> need that?

I can add that too.  It won't make a difference on most targets.
eg. tc-i386.h defines LOCAL_LABELS_FB too.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre