output section ALIGN and relocatable links

I have found a bug in the new output section ALIGN feature that was added with this patch:

http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils-cvs/2005-09/msg00112.html

I tested this against the mainline this morning.

With the following linker script commands, one would expect the output section "foo" to be aligned to 16, but it won't be.

The output section's alignment is only copied to the output bfd's alignment in lang_add_section, which is only called when an input section goes into the output section.

However, in this case, no input section ever appears in the output section, although the output section does have contents. I am happy to provide a patch, but after reading the back and forth about zero-sized sections and alignment, it is unclear to me where the correct place to fix it is.

jaw > cat t.xr

SECTIONS {
   foo : ALIGN(16) {
     asymbol = .;
     WORD(0xFFFFFF);
  }
}

jaw > ld -r -T t.xr random_object_file.o jaw > objdump -h a.out

 6 foo           00000010  00000000  00000000  00000034  0
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA