Assembly instructions storing structure

Hi Everyone,
     I am trying to port binutils to my propriatery architecture, and I
would like to do some "fix" before writing the instructions to the
file. I would to know where it stores the assembly instructions
before writing it to the file (like maybe a linked list or
something).

I am currently using binutils-2.11.93

Any help is highly appreciated and encouraged.

Yours Sincerely,

Balaji V. Iyer.

PS. Please CC me in your response since I am not a subscribing member of
this  mailing list.