RE: PATCH: Optimize ia64 linker relaxation

On 04 April 2006 20:43, James E Wilson wrote:

> You have overloaded the relax_pass field, such that it means two
> different things, depending on where it is being used.  However, the
> comment you added in bfdlink.h only documents one of the uses.  This
> needs to document both of them.

  Overloaded variables make me shudder, even when they're documented; it can
all too easily become unclear which semantic is relevant/intended in which
context.

  Wouldn't it be better to replace it by a two-member union and (if needed)
add a "#define relax_pass union_whatever.relax_pass" to make it more future
proof?

    cheers,
      DaveK