Re: m68k : why is bra an alias for braw, not jra

Hi Philippe,

In the m68k assembler, I wonder why `bra' and friends are alias for their
`bxxw' counterparts.

And if one writes no size specification for a `bra' instruction the assembler
should be free to choose the most efficient way to generate it, i.e.
a `brab' if possible of even a `bral' if needed.

If no-one objects, I'll submit a patch

Please feel free to submit such a patch. I would recommend however that you control the new behaviour with a command line switch as I suspect that there will be assembler source files out there that rely upon the current behaviour.

Also, if you would like your patch to be accepted into the binutils sources you will need to have an FSF copyright assignment in place.

Cheers
  Nick