Re: Generate DW_AT_ranges for non-contiguous code

Nick Clifton wrote:
Ok thanks - in which case the patch looks good, but I would like Sterling to confirm that it actually fixes the problem since it did not appear to do so for me.

I believe that the debugging information is correct. However gdb's support of DW_AT_ranges is immature. At least as far as I can tell.

gdb/dwarf2read.c:read_partial_die--which handles low_pc and high_pc attributes in the normal case--ignores the ranges attribute completely. This is one location in gdb that will have to be fixed.

Also bfd/dwarf2.c:scan_unit_for_symbols also only supports aranges inside functions, but not inside compilation units. This is another place that gdb will need to be fixed for full support.

I'm probably missing others.

In any event, I believe that this is the correct first step to a solution, rather than the complete solution.

Thanks,

Sterling