Re: Patch to update top-level config to autoconf 2.59

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:08:00PM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> > Here is my final patch to update autoconf in the src tree.  All subtrees
> > have been updated to be configured by autoconf 2.59 and this patch
> > updates the top level configure and Makefiles to also use 2.59.  The
> > only real change needed was to rename AS_FOR_TARGET to GAS_FOR_TARGET.
> > I also changed COMPILER_AS_FOR_TARGET to COMPILER_GAS_FOR_TARGET, though
> > that wasn't strictly necessary, it just seemed like a good idea to
> > maintain the naming consistency.
>
> Why was the AS_FOR_TARGET change necessary?

Because autoconf 2.59 gave an error if I didn't change the name.

| [hpsje] $ autoconf
| configure.in:2299: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_FOR_TARGET
|       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
|       See the Autoconf documentation.

It looked like the common fix for this was to rename it to
GAS_FOR_TARGET.  I see that all these files are shared, I didn't realise
that.  I thought that GCC was already configuring everything with 2.59
but I see they still use 2.13 for the toplevel configure and have the
same configure.in (and Makefiles) as the src tree.  Oh well.

> The top level files are all shared with GCC; you'll really have to copy
> this to gcc-patches, and I suspect they'll want you to wait until 4.2
> branches.

Yes, I expect so.  I guess this last bit will have to wait for a while.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com