Re: mn10300: clarify a diagnostic

On Oct 16, 2006, at 8:51 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Hmm? We're returning bfd_reloc_dangerous for gotoff relocations
which are, admittedly link time, but they're off the got so I don't
know that the message is quite correct. Maybe "warning: local
relocation against non-local symbol seen when linking a shared
object"?

I was thinking of how you generate this error - the only way I've been able to generate it is to link a non-"-fpic" object into a shared library. Maybe we could split the error case up so we can properly inform the user? But first we'd need to figure out how to generate the other cases, I couldn't get any of the 8, 16, or 24 bit relocations out of gcc.

From looking at SYMBOL_REFERENCES_LOCAL I can imagine a protected
function that somehow gets a local relocation, but in fact it may resolve
non-locally.

Basically, I want to tell the user how to get rid of the error.

I'm fine with splitting it up as you had in mind.

-eric