Re: RFC: Mark a section to be discarded for DSO and executable

Lu, Hongjiu wrote:

It looks like SHF_EXCLUDE is exactly what I am looking for. How useful
is it in your experiences?

As far as I can tell, this was introduced with the SYSTEM V APPLICATION BINARY INTERFACE for the PowerPC Processor Supplement back in September 1995 :-)

Then the Fortran folks got a hold of it for adding some specific sections
that they didn't want added to the final output file.

Whether it's being used today by any of our compiler components I don't
know.  I'll put some feelers out.

--

Rod.