Re: PATCH: Support LD_SYMBOLIC and LD_SYMBOLIC_FUNCTIONS

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:23:55PM +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > But you do not have -Bsymbolic-functions in your spec file, so if you
> > forget this trick in the future and rebuild the openoffice.org binaries
> > again you will miss out on the optimization.  With this new feature
> > restricted to the -Bsymbolic-functions command line switch users that
> > want it are forced to do the right thing and add it to the spec file.
>
> Especially when -Bsymbolic-functions is not just an innocent optimization,

If it is "innocent", it will be default and we won't need this
environment variable.

> but changes behavior of the program or library being linked.
> An environment variable for this is IMHO a terribly bad idea.

It isn't perfect. But it alllows me to rebuild more than 60 most
used rpms in FC6 without changing single line of code and significantly
reduce number of PLT relocations in DSOs without any ill effects.

H.J.