Re: PATCH: Remove --with-bugurl in gas, ld, gprof and binutils

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, H. J. Lu wrote:

> How do you handle PKGVERSION in manuals? I think --with-bugurl
> and --with-pkgversion should be handled in the same fashion.

I don't - yet.  The obvious approach would be to put --with-pkgversion
logic in each directory with a manual (directly or through a macro) and
put the necessary information in the generated .texi files.

Fitting this into the English of the manuals is a bit more tricky, given
that the package version may either be the default (GNU Binutils) or
something with a binutils package version (XYZ Binutils 2.18-7) or the
name of a larger product containing binutils among other tools.  What's
appropriate in one place may not be in another.

  @subtitle @code{ld} version 2
  @subtitle Version @value{VERSION}

  This file documents the @sc{gnu} linker ld version @value{VERSION}.

  This brief manual contains documentation for the @sc{gnu} binary
  utilities (collectively version @value{VERSION}):

I think having @value{VERSION} be something like "2.18 (from XYZ Binutils
...)" would work for ld, with both the default "GNU Binutils" and other
pkgversions, but for the binutils directory something different would be
appropriate, "utilities version 2.18" or "utilities version 2.18 (from XYZ
Binutils ...)" that avoids having duplicative (from GNU Binutils) in the
default case.

Putting logic in each directory at first would allow working out the
correct text for each manual, with following refactoring once we've worked
out how much variation between directories is desired.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com