Re: Use of readelf -D option

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:10 +1000, David Arnold wrote:
>   # readelf -sD lib/.libs/libelvin.so.4.1.9
>   Dynamic symbol information is not available for displaying symbols.

Just taking a quick look at the FSF readelf sources, it appears that you
will get this message if there is no .dynamic section, or if DT_HASH is
missing in the dynamic section.  That implies that either you don't have
a shared library, or it is corrupted.

readelf -d will show the .dynamic section if there is one.  There should
be a symbol HASH inside it.

You can try checking to see if an FSF binutils release works.  I don't
have access to RHEL5, so I can't comment further on that.

If this doesn't help, then we will likely need a testcase that we can
use to reproduce the problem.  Or you could try debugging readelf to see
what is going on.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com