Re: PATCH: windres

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 02:56:03PM +0200, Kai Tietz wrote:
>binutils-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 23.04.2007 14:25:54:
>>I'm sorry that I missed this before but what was the rationale for
>>replacing the (f)lex file with a .c file?  That seems like a step
>>backwards to me.
>
>The use of flex looks more professional, but at a closer look a pure c
>lexer is getting easier to maintain and more efficant.  E.g.  gcc use
>now for a long term no flex anymore to implement the c token scanner.
>To use flex is sometimes as to break a fly on the wheel.

Speed is not really an issue in this case but, regardless, *claims* of
efficiency are not really useful unless they are accompanied by actual
data.

Your implementation is ~4K larger than the .l version and, since it is
is a complete reimplementation, there is no way to tell what regressions
there may be.  Have you tried running the test suite on your version,
anemic as the windres test may be?

Changing the current version of the lexer to accept more characters seems
like it would be trivial, FWIW.

cgf