Re: Rationale for giving .so files +x

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Thursday 14 June 2007, Serge van den Boom wrote:
What's the rationale for setting the executable bit on shared object files?

shared object codes include executable code so in order to map them with execute permissions, you need the +x bit

I see. So may I take it that the reason that shared object files without executable permissions can still be loaded on my system is because of the limited page protection available on traditional Intel systems?

Serge