gprof omits called functions and includes uncalled functions

I'm using gprof for the first time, and the flat profile is reporting
functions that could not have been called, but omitting functions that had to
be called.
	Could the problem be that gprof doesn't like C++? It seems to report the
demanged names properly (or just reads them out of the debug information, I
don't know). I know that it has problems with multi-process and
multi-threaded programs, but the one I tested is neither. I built the entire
project with -pg -g3 options. That's all I can think of that might be
relevant to the environment.