RE: Very slow link times on debug versions of C++ program on x86_64. Includes oprofile of ld...

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'll see if I can come up with a testcase.

Based upon my examination of oprofile results, I can say that ld is
_not_ spending all of its time in I/O, like the previous message
suggests.  Looking at the oprofile results, it's spending it's time
matching wildcards, though of what I'm not exactly sure.

What exactly does the "wild_section"/"match_simple_wild" stuff do in
there?  I'm not sure that I fully understand it.  It appears to be
matching section names, yes?  That seems kinda weird--does a GCC debug
compile have a lot more sections in the .o file?

I will _gladly_ help debug this.

--
George T. Talbot
<gtalbot@locuspharma.com>

Fedora
> > Core 6 (7 came out a week after I installed doh!).  I have a largish
C++