Re: Very slow link times on debug versions of C++ program on x86_64. Includes oprofile of ld...

Hi George,

What exactly does the "wild_section"/"match_simple_wild" stuff do in
there?

It is matching sections names in the input files to section name patterns in the linker script.

I'm not sure that I fully understand it.  It appears to be
matching section names, yes?  That seems kinda weird--does a GCC debug
compile have a lot more sections in the .o file?

Oh yes - lots of debug sections: .debug_info, .debug_line, .debug_loc, etc etc.

Cheers
  Nick