Re: Generic object attributes patch

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, H. J. Lu wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:00:24PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, H. J. Lu wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think you should merge attributes between object files and
> > > shared libraries. It is mainly to detect incompatibilities bewteen
> > > object files and shared libraries.
> >
> > A backend ELF hook to check for consistency with shared library attributes
> > can be added later if desired.  I don't think it's needed in the initial
> > infrastructure.
>
> It may not be a simple backend hook. You may need to design your

Whether or not it is simple is irrelevant to the present patch, which is
explicitly basic infrastructure on which further patches can build as
necessary.  I do not think the present patch loses any features presently
in binutils, and it provides the features required for my immediate uses
of the feature (Power and MIPS floating-point ABI tagging).  If you wish
to add further features on top of it, please do so in subsequent patches.

> infrastructure to support it.  You need to be able to create,
> copy and read a new program segment.

ld can use the section view of the file when checking for consistency with
a shared library, without need to handle a new program segment.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com