Re: Generic object attributes patch

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:01:16PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 03:58:39PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > > infrastructure to support it.  You need to be able to create,
> > > copy and read a new program segment.
> >
> > ld can use the section view of the file when checking for consistency with
> > a shared library, without need to handle a new program segment.
>
> Yes.  I don't see any point in using a program segment when ld.so does
> not care; you're wasting loaded space.

How much space are we talkng about? An entry in the program header
only takes 56 byte for ELF64.  Why do you think none of ld.so of
all ELF implementation will care about it? Kernel loader may also
check the new program segment in the program header in executables.
Since it is supposed to be a generic solution, we should cover all
bases.

> HJ, can we please discuss this separately?  I really like the work
> Joseph's done here; I would like us to merge it, use it, and then
> decide how else we can take advantage of it.

I never said I didn't like it. I just believe we need to think
carefully how shared libraries should be handled. I don't think
anyone has given it any serious thought.

H.J.