Re: Generic object attributes patch

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 10:36:04PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:32:03AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > How much space are we talkng about? An entry in the program header
> > only takes 56 byte for ELF64.  Why do you think none of ld.so of
> > all ELF implementation will care about it? Kernel loader may also
> > check the new program segment in the program header in executables.
> > Since it is supposed to be a generic solution, we should cover all
> > bases.
>
> When someone has a use for it, we can add it.  I don't understand why
> that's so complicated a suggestion.  I do not want to waste the RAM
> across every binary on every system until there is at least some use
> for it.

There are other ways to save much more than 56bytes per file. If
you don't design it carefully from beginning, it may be a mess
to add it on later.

Why do you think there is no use for it? It may detect conflicting
wchar_t attributes between executable and shared libraries:

http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2007-06/msg00279.html

H.J.