Re: GProf's sampling inaccuracies

When I run the
program with profiling on the build I get 5743514 calls to
CompareReferences() in the flat profile.

Please make sure the asm code in your actual binary is the same as you think it is; run objdump -drS on the .o file or your resulting executable.

When I run it with profiling just on
the link, the self-seconds are: 1.85. This comes to an average of 322ns/call.
How do we explain that? Do we conclude that those 5743514 calls to movl and
5743514 calls to cmpl where all cache misses?

Dunno. You might want to look at using a more fine-grained profiler instead, that can use your CPU's profiling extensions, like Oprofile on Linux.

Segher