Re: RFC: Map GNU attributes section to PT_GNU_STACK segment

Hi H.J.

The current usage of the PT_GNU_STACK segment is the flags field
only.  All other fields are ignored.  The new segment ignores the
flags field.  Overloading the PT_GNU_STACK segment seems a good
idea to me since it is totally backward and forward compatible.

I agree that it is forward and backward compatible. I am just worried that the name of the segment, if set to PT_GNU_ATTRIBUTES or left as PT_GNU_STACK, would be confusing. I think that we ought to have a more generic type of name and then have a well defined scheme for storing information in this segment.

That is what my proposal does. The only difference is I call the
new segment PT_GNU_ATTRIBUTES.  I don't mind we use a differrent
name at all.  The loader-accessible information belongs to the GNU
attributes section and it is extendable.

True, so maybe we ought to have a GNU_STACK attribute and use that. For backwards compatibility we can still set the flags of the segment appropriately, but that would only be for backwards compatibility. Any future uses of the segment would not make use of the flags to specify any information.

Cheers
  Nick