RE: NEWS: mention Coverity bug fixes

On 22 August 2007 16:51, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> msnyder@sonic.net writes:
>
>> + * 37 Coverity issues fixed in bfd, including potential static array
>> +   overruns, null pointer dereferences and use of malloc buffer after
>> +   free.  Coverity generously runs its static analysis suite on the
>> +   GNU tools without charge.
>
> It's nice of Coverity to run these analyses for us, but do we feel OK
> about advertising non-free software in a GNU package?
>
> Ian

  Are we advertising their software, or are we giving credit to the organisation
for the voluntary work they've done for us?  I feel basically OK about credit
where credit's due.

  For comparison, IBM and HP are two firms who make lots of proprietary software,
yet have acknowledgements of their contributions to the gcc project listed at
http://gcc.gnu.org/news.html

    cheers,
      DaveK