Re: undefined reference when mixing a.out and ELF object files ?

Hi Vincent,

So I would like to switch to ELF like everyone (and enjoy ELF benefits, too).

An excellent idea.

I hoped that configuring gas for generating ELF object files would be enough. That way, the new programs will use ELF object files, while keeping the standard a.out-like executable format, and while being compatible with the old a.out libraries. Unfortunately, it doesn't work because of the "bug" described here :-(

Hmm, well the linker fix I mentioned would not help you in this case, since the linker would just emit an error message and refuse to link in the old libraries.

I assume that you do not have the option of recompiling these libraries with the new assembler in place, so that they are transformed into ELF format ?

Given that this aout-zero-big format is unsupported I think that recompiling the libraries may be the only answer. Sorry.

Cheers
  Nick