Re: undefined reference when mixing a.out and ELF object files ?

Nick Clifton wrote:
Hmm, well the linker fix I mentioned would not help you in this case, since the linker would just emit an error message and refuse to link in the old libraries.

If is just a test to add somewhere, it would be better than a silent failure.

I assume that you do not have the option of recompiling these libraries with the new assembler in place, so that they are transformed into ELF format ?

When the ELF support will be OK, of course it will be the solution. But there is quite a lot libraries, and few people. The intermediate solution of mixing object types would be perfect for making the transition smoothly. However, for test purposes, it is probably easy to write a shell script for converting all the libraries in /usr/lib into the ELF format using objcopy.

Given that this aout-zero-big format is unsupported I think that recompiling the libraries may be the only answer. Sorry.

The a.out-zero-big format is supported by the binutils, moreover it is the default a.out object file format for m68k (see gas/config/tc-m68k.h).
The problem seems to be present when the undefined symbols are in ELF object files, when the symbols are defined in a.out files, and when the output is something other ELF (a.out or "binary").
It is actually an unlucky mix of supported things.
But because it involves a.out, I think I'm on my own :-( :-(

Thanks for your explanations.

--
Vincent Rivière