Re: multiarch proposal

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 03:17:11PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Unfortunately this is true. But you said "many" and not "all" and many
>> people don't even use gcc to link. So I have to correct my previous
>> mail. binutils is not the one place this needs to be fixed but one of
>> the places.
>
> I have been encouraging people to transition to linking with gcc for
> most of this decade.  It has almost never been a problem.  So I don't
> accept this argument.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery

It is not a problem per se but it is a lot of work all together.

Is not including a trivial patch worth breaking ld just to force
people to use gcc to link? Why not go all out and remove the linker
scripts alltogether so it won't work without gcc at all? :)

I would rather have people use gcc to link because it is the right
thing to do instead of forcing them because we will break ld with
multiarch.

MfG
        Goswin