Re: multiarch proposal

From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:31:03 -0400

> and will continue to be broken.  i think the mutlilib example i pointed out
> recently in a different thread is a good one ... an ld that supports a wide
> range of bfd's cannot automatically select the right bfd based on the input
> objects.  people who execute ld have to explicitly specify the emulation
> with -m or it'll fail right off the bat.  that's worse than adding random
> search paths i'd think ...

You can't do a lot of things based purely upon input objects, that's
why BFD ld has these emulation scripts and needs the argument
specifying the emulation to use.

It's largely unavoidable that the caller has to specify the emulation
it needs.

That results from several things and ambiguous situations.

For example, one that I'm familiar with is the fact that
both Linux and Solaris use SYSV in the ELF header OS type
field.  So you cannot in any way distinguish between a
Solaris SPARC binary and a Linux SPARC one.

As a result you can't make some default settings based upon
the input objects no matter how hard you try.

This isn't the BFD linker's fault, it's just a fundamental issue.