Re: some ideas to gnu as

 >> In principle no, although stylistically yes.  Gas has always
 >> treated the period character (.), when it appears as the first
 >> character in a symbol, as indicating the start of a
 >> pseudo-operator.  (eg .global, .word, .text etc).  So it would be
 >> very confusing if a dot prefix were

 Miro> oh no, don't take this dotted syntax as hard rule! For example,
 Miro> on Motorola DSP, there's "_" as local label prefix and we could
 Miro> live with any other character as well.

 >> used also to introduce a local label.  Maybe if you introduced a
 >> new pseudo-operator, eg ".local", and used that instead it would
 >> be better.  ie:

 Miro> I think this would be a little bit unpractical (very boring to
 Miro> type again and again), I find some character prefix as much
 Miro> easier.

Local labels with the semantics you mentioned were done in the past on
DEC assemblers -- both for PDP-11 and VAX (under VMS) and maybe in the
PDP-10 as well, I forgot.  In that case, they were numbers followed by
$ sign.

    paul