Re: Binutils-2.18 testsuite

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Fabio ARNONE wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The attached patches fixes unexpected failures, dued to:
> - Some result files (like readelf.r) miss the check terminator string i.e. XYZ0ZYX.

This terminator string should not exist from the point of view of
testsuites; it's an internal board file detail.  If it's visible to the
binutils testsuite and casuing binutils tests to fail, that's a bug in
your board files.

> - If the host and target, are different machines (like my case) you have
> to be sure that each test is run in the proper machine (host PC, target
> SH4).

You do, but various of the changes in your patch look wrong, such as where
you hardcode a target name, or change [is_remote host] to ![is_remote
host] without explanation, or run a program under test on the build system
instead of the host.  There's no point changing to remote_exec if you're
going to run things on the build system, and all binutils programs need to
be executed on the host not the build system.

In fact the binutils testsuite hardly ever runs anything on the target.
The issue is when *build and host* differ, not *host and target*.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com