Re: inflateInit?

} I think the only thing we can do is add equivalent autoconf tests
} for zlib to other things which link to BFD but do not use libtool.

A hack I've done for this kind of thing in the past is to use weak
symbols.  The idea is that we have a weak definition of inflate(),
defined in bfd/compress.c, that is a noop.  If you link in zlib, you
get the real inflate, otherwise you use the weak inflate.

I know it's a hack, and a non-portable one, and may not work in any
case if you link in libz.a instead of libz.so.  But I could add it in
if folks thought it was worthwhile.

But I agree easiest is to clean up the sim.  It sounds like it's
discouraged for folks to use libbfd directly, so this may not be such
a widespread issue.

craig