Re: inflateInit?

} Besides, "you should hack your Makefiles" is not a suitable solution
} to this kind of problem.  I'm not the only one trying to build them.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I was suggesting you fix the Makefile and
then check it in to whatever source control system you're using.

} If I added it to CVS (assuming I had permission to do so), then any
} system missing libz would break.

But such a system wouldn't have the compression stuff built into
libbfd either, so you'd be fine.  You can just use the same configure
rule for your project that bfd uses for its:
   AC_SEARCH_LIBS(zlibVersion, z, [AC_CHECK_HEADERS(zlib.h)])

As long as you build your project and libbfd at the same time, which
as I understand it is pretty much a requirement when working with
libbfd, then everything should work.

craig