Re: RFC: Adding non-PIC executable support to MIPS

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 09:24:48PM +0100, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> > - I've dropped support for a non-fixed $gp.  This is a handy
> > optimization, but it was getting in the way and it was the part of the
> > GCC patch Richard had the most comments on.  I can resubmit it after
> > everything else is merged.
>
> That's a shame.  It was also the bit I liked best ;)  What went wrong?
>
> (My comments were only minor.)

Nothing big: but it made up the bulk of our GCC patch, and I was
rebasing on top of yours.  We had a lot of trouble getting that bit to
work, so I took the conservative path and dropped it.  Don't worry - I
definitely will return to this as soon as the remaining patches are
merged; I liked it too.

Originally, we were also going to make small data work with non-PIC
abicalls.  I'd like to discuss that with you at some later date too.
We ran into a lot of trouble combining small data with a non-fixed
$gp; I believe it was because reload may introduce small data loads
very late.  I'd have to try it again before I had anything more
sensible to say, though.

> Sorry for the bugs, and thanks for fixing them.  I'll try to have
> a look at the patches over the weekend.

No problem, and thank you for looking at them - and for your patches;
I'm really pretty happy with the combined work.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery