non-working coff targets

hello!

I'm trying to do regression testing after some rather major changes to
COFF code in bfd (as part of port to NEC SX architecture); a while ago,
nick said that I should also make sure that I introduced no regressions
for targets mingw64-pe and alpha-linux-ecoff (among others). now, while
other targets build fine and show no regressions, these two simply fail
to build even in the unpatched HEAD of binutils CVS.

alpha-linux-ecoff fails in ld with

*** ld does not support target alpha-linux-ecoff
*** see ld/configure.tgt for supported targets

while mingw64-pe does not even seem to be a valid target; configure
says:

checking target system type... Invalid configuration `mingw64-pe':
machine `mingw64' not recognized

my question is: are there some other targets I could try instead of
these two in order to make sure I don't break something with my bfd COFF
patches?

other configuration that I'm using for regression testing are

   --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
   --target=i686-pc-cygwin
   --target=arm-vxworks
   --target=i386-coff