Re: Stack traces and sections in PE/COFF

Joe Abbey wrote:
> For documentation on the PE/COFF specification please see:

  Thanks, I do keep a copy or two lying around :)

> In Section 4.0

  As you say, it's unambiguously not permitted in executable images.  It all
works fine for .o files, but shouldn't be done at final link time.

  The bug is in coff_write_object_contents in bfd/coffcode.h, under control
of #ifdef COFF_LONG_SECTION_NAMES.  It blindly adds a long name to the string
table even if there isn't going to be one in the final image.

  Piotr, thanks for drawing this to our attention.  I'll prepare and test a
fix.  You could file a bug report in the sourceware.org bugzilla if you like
and add my email to the Cc list.

    cheers,
      DaveK