Re: SVN for src, status?

Joseph,

> How does git handle the key feature for src, sparse checkouts (a single
> repository from which you can check out just the parts relevant for
> binutils, or GDB, or ..., or everything, and do single commits affecting
> various subsets of the directories)?

Git doesn't support this. You can use submodules for binutils, GDB...
but it won't allow a single commit affecting the main repository and
some submodules. But Git does bring lot of nice stuff that Subversion
does not have (e.g: speed, off connection work, display patch with log -
this one is so nice for patch review that after 2 years working with Git
I'm wondering why this has not been the default for all VCS, ...).

It is not the right place/time (nor am I the right person as I've rarely
proposed patch for the gdb/binutils) but as always there is pros and
cons on both sides.

For one thing, moving to Subversion will at least make it possible for
Git enthusiasts to use the wonderful git-svn mode which supports
bi-directional flow of changesets.

--
  Pascal Obry