Building statically linked application

Hey,

when I try to build a statically linked application which uses the
function "gethostbyname", I get the following linker warning:

In function `main':
test.c:(.text+0x19): warning: Using 'getprotobyname' in statically
linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the
glibc version used for linking

Could you please give some (short) background about this warning and why
this function (and some others as well) still require the shared
libraries at runtime although linked statically with:

gcc test.c -static -o test

Thanks for your help,
Andi