Re: Apropos recent debuginfo-related cygwin failures: "Dwarf Error: Could not find,> abbrev number 1"

2009/6/28 Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com>:

> ... I seem to have had a couple of experiences lately where if there were
> undefined references in a .o file, ld complained about mangled dwarf2 info.
> On today's CVS head, there is a new testcase FAILure in
> "ld-undefined/undefined.exp" that appears to recreate this problem:
>
>> spawn [open ...]
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: warning: cannot find entry symbol
>> start; defaulting to 00401000
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: Dwarf Error: Could not find
>> abbrev number 1.
>> tmpdir/undefined.o:undefined.c:(.text+0x5): undefined reference to
>> `this_function_is_not_defined'
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: warning: cannot find entry symbol
>> start; defaulting to 00401000
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: Dwarf Error: Could not find
>> abbrev number 1.
>> tmpdir/undefined.o:undefined.c:(.text+0x5): undefined reference to
>> `this_function_is_not_defined'
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: warning: cannot find entry symbol
>> start; defaulting to 00401000
>> /gnu/binutils/newsrc/obj/ld/.libs/ld-new: Dwarf Error: Could not find
>> abbrev number 1.
>> tmpdir/undefined.o:undefined.c:(.text+0x5): undefined reference to
>> `this_function_is_not_defined'
>> PASS: undefined
>> FAIL: undefined function
>> FAIL: undefined line
>> testcase /gnu/binutils/newsrc/src/ld/testsuite/ld-undefined/undefined.exp completed in 1 seconds
>
> ?I see that this test has not been changed in a long time, so I suspect we
> have a real regression here to investigate. ?More will follow.
>
> ? ?cheers,
> ? ? ?DaveK

Hello,

I agree. This behaviour is new and seems to be a regression. I tested
the testcases with old gcc (4.4.1) and didn't got those message. When
I use gcc 4.5 I see them for cygwin and mingw targets. Dave I tried
also your proposed patch for binutils, but this doesn't seems to help
here. It is true, that we can honor in coffcode.h the case that
NO_LOAD is wished (I sent a patch for this already), but it doesn't
solves this described failure for my tests.

Cheers,
Kai